Hello Guest!

To be a member of this forum, click one of these buttons below!

Contact naijanetwork Nigeria forum for adverts
advertise on naijanetwork forum Nigeria forum
advertise on naijanetwork forum Nigeria forum

Avertise on Naijanetwork Forum Avertise on Naijanetwork Forum

Okada riders injure five policemen in Lagos riot

bibingbibing Posts: 2,160
Officials-raiding-the-area-

The tension in the Canoe Bridge Market area in the Oke Afa, Isolo area of Lagos State, has yet to subside after five policemen were injured during a clash with commercial motorcycle operators, otherwise known as okada riders, in the area.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the fracas, which started around 7.30pm on Wednesday, was between policemen attached to the Lagos State Task Force on Environmental and Special Offences Unit and about 120 okada riders.

Our correspondent gathered that the motorcyclists, who believed that the task force had stormed the area to enforce the ban on okada, ambushed the police vans and hurled objects such as bottles, woods and stones at the policemen.

The cops were said to have scampered to safety, while they called for reinforcements.

It was learnt that five policemen were injured severely by the objects and were rushed to a government hospital the same evening.

Not done, the rampaging motorcyclists, some of whom were reportedly armed with guns, set fire to the police Armoured Personnel Carrier, stationed at the Canoe Bridge.

When PUNCH Metro visited the area on Thursday, there was still panic as heavy police presence was observed.

Most residents trekked to their destinations, while most shops were still locked as of 10am. Residents told PUNCH Metro that one of the injured policemen might have died in the hospital.

However, efforts to ascertain the hospital where they were taken to were not successful as of press time.

Our correspondent observed six police vans in the area, and the traces of the APC burnt by the okada riders.

A shop owner, who identified himself as Sunday Igwe, said the okada riders blocked the road and brought out weapons to attack the police, thinking that the cops came to raid the area.

He said, “I was in the shop when I started hearing gunshots at about 7.30pm. The task force policemen had come to the NNPC gate area to raid, and they were on their way to the Alausa office. They needed to pass through Canoe Bridge area.

“The okada riders, having parked on the road as usual, saw the police vans and concluded it was going to be a raid. So, they started throwing objects. I quickly locked my shop during the unrest.”

A resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said he saw the armoured vehicle burning at about 10pm when he passed the road.

He said, “The policemen had to actually retreat because they were outnumbered by the mob. They began to shoot to scare away the rioters, but it only added to the commotion.

“When I was returning home, I saw the riders on the bridge while the armoured vehicle burnt. There was no policeman. It was on Thursday morning that the reinforcement started to arrive.

“I have lived for 15 years in this area, and I can say both the police and the okada riders are to blame. The police collect money from these men on a daily basis. They seize their motorcycles, and return them after collecting bribes.

“The motorcyclists ride recklessly. They have caused countless accidents and injured people. In March, this area boiled when the okada riders clashed with road transport workers.”

Our correspondent learnt that no fewer than 50 motorcycles were, however, impounded in the area in the evening.

When PUNCH Metro left the scene at about 1pm, no okada was still in sight.

The Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Joe Offor, confirmed the incident. He added that no death was recorded.

He said, “Our men had gone to the area to enforce the restriction on motorcycles on designated roads when the hoodlums attacked them. The police have restored normalcy in the area, and no death was recorded on either side.”

The Chairman of the task force, SP Olubukola Abe, confirmed that five of his officers were injured during the clash, adding that 15 hoodlums were arrested by the police during the mayhem.

Abe added that no life was lost during the enforcement.

He said, “We had gone to enforce the restriction of motorcycle riders around Canoe Market under Ejigbo Local Council Development Area. Forty-five motorcycles and 15 riders, including miscreants and touts were arrested.

“Five of our officials, including the agency head driver, were injured.

“The APC belonging to the Rapid Respond Squad stationed around the market for security check was set ablaze with one task force vehicle also damaged beyond repair.

“All those arrested have been taken to court and have their motorcycles impounded.”

Share Your Thoughts.
Leave Your Comments.

or to comment.

Avertise on Naijanetwork Forum Avertise on Naijanetwork Forum