Hello Guest!

To be a member of this forum, click one of these buttons below!

Contact naijanetwork Nigeria forum for adverts
advertise on naijanetwork forum Nigeria forum
advertise on naijanetwork forum Nigeria forum

Avertise on Naijanetwork Forum Avertise on Naijanetwork Forum

Protest as soldier kills taxi driver in Rivers

protest

THERE was commotion on Sunday in Rumuokoro roundabout in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area when one of the soldiers guarding the area shot and killed a taxi driver.

It was learnt that the taxi driver identified as Mr. Michael Nweye, was driving against the traffic when the soldier allegedly asked him to stop.

An eyewitness told our correspondent that the taxi driver tried to reverse to escape from the soldiers before he (Nweye) was shot.

It was gathered that some of the taxi and bus drivers were always having their way by driving on the wrong lane after parting with some money.

Sources said the errant soldier shot the driver before leaving the vicinity.

The deceased, who was said to be in his early 20s, hailed from Egbeda community in Emohua Local Government Area of Rivers State.

The action of the soldier immediately sparked a protest by commercial drivers, a development that was allegedly hijacked by hoodlums to destroy vehicles around the area.

The victim’s elder brother, Mr. Chinedu Nweye, however, said the military authority at 2 Brigade Command in Rumuokoro, had admitted that one of their men shot the deceased.

Chinedu added that a group of soldiers had attempted to rush his brother to the hospital before he died on the way to the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital.

He said, “My brother was shot at the front of Bori Camp gate in Rumuokoro. The soldiers said he was driving against the traffic and they asked him to stop, but he refused. So, while he was reversing to escape, they shot him.

“When the soldiers discovered that he was bleeding seriously, they quickly rushed him to the hospital, but on their way to UPTH, my brother died. The military have pleaded with my family on what happened. But I think that whatever happens, the court will decide.”

Confirming the incident, the Assistant State Police Public Relations Officer, Mrs. Grace Iringe-Koko, described the trigger-happy soldier as unknown, adding that investigation had begun into the matter to arrest the culprit.

“It was an unknown soldier that shot the man (taxi driver). We have begun investigation with a view to arresting the person behind the act,” Iringe-Koko said.

Source: Punch

Share Your Thoughts.
Leave Your Comments.

or to comment.

Avertise on Naijanetwork Forum Avertise on Naijanetwork Forum