Hello Guest!

To be a member of this forum, click one of these buttons below!

Contact naijanetwork Nigeria forum for adverts
advertise on naijanetwork forum Nigeria forum
advertise on naijanetwork forum Nigeria forum

Avertise on Naijanetwork Forum Avertise on Naijanetwork Forum

My arrest is like a dream, says armed robber who killed Akala’s driver

EGUN GeorgeEGUN George, the notorious armed robber who snatched N500,000 from the driver of the wife of former governor of Oyo State, Mrs Oluwakemi Alao-Akala and killed him after trailing him from a bank, made startling revelations after his arrest on Tuesday, August 26, 2014, as he confessed to have belonged to a cult group while he was a student of The Polytechnic, Ibadan, and started handling guns as a cultist.

George also said he never believed that he could be arrested as he was very careful in evading the police, describing the way he was arrested by Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ibadan, as a dream that he would like to wake up from. George was described as a notorious armed robber who was using motorcycle to terrorise Ibadan by moving about the city to snatch vehicles and rob bank customers.

In an operation that led to his eventual arrest, George’s gang had trailed one Mr Oshodi to his house on July 11, 2014 at Challenge area of Ibadan and forcefully robbed him of his Hyundai Elantra car valued at N3.5 million, but two of the armed robbers, David Ida and Fatai Olowookere, were intercepted by policemen from Kwara State Command same day and were arrested with the car.

Crime Reports learnt that after the case was transferred to Ibadan, detectives from SARS, led by the Officer-in-Charge, Superintendent of Police Michael Eneji, acted on the confession of the arrested duo and went after other members of the gang. Their efforts paid off when they went to Inalende and Opoyeosa areas of Ibadan and arrested Kolawole Lasisi and Sikiru Olayiwola were arrested on July 30.

Olayiwola led the police to George’s house at Ile-Aperin, Aremo area, Ibadan on August 7 but on sighting the police, the notorious armed robber scaled a fence, jumped on the roof of another building and shot his way out. However, other two suspects, namely Babatunde Oyelakun and Adebayo Kehinde were arrested while George’s armoury was discovered. Two locally-made double-barrel cut-to-size guns, three locally-made single barrel cut-to size guns and two rounds of live cartridges were recovered from the gang leader’s house.

It was further gathered that after George’s escape, he went to Ile-Ife in Osun State but sneaked into Ibadan, unknown to him that the SARS operatives were still on his trail. He was eventually arrested with another gang member, Nurudeen Sodiq (22) on August 26 at about 8.30 p.m. when he went to pick his girlfriend from her shop at Aremo area of the city.

Arresting George on that day was not an easy task as he reportedly drew his Beretta pistol tucked into his knickers and engaged the SARS operatives in gun duel when he sighted them, after they had laid ambush for him for hours. But he and his partner were halted in their tracks as hot lead was pumped into their legs. Though they were rushed to hospital to save their lives, the two suspects later died as a result of the injuries they sustained.

George was a man dreaded by his gang members as they shiver at the mention of his name, even in the cell at SARS unit. But before his death, George opened up to the police on the reason beside his choice of profession, saying that he engaged in crime because his parents were poor and he saw people living ostentatious lives. He confessed that one Abraham initiated him into cultism at The Polytechnic, Ibadan, from which he graduated into armed robbery. He also said he had gangs in Ile-Ife and Onitsha in Anambra State.

When asked whether he depended on charms to carry out successful robbery operations, George was quoted to have said: “It is not like that, you will not understand,” adding that “I have now asked God to forgive me. I will not ask anyone to toe my path.”

- See more at: http://247nigerianewsupdate.co/my-arrest-is-like-a-dream-says-armed-robber-who-killed-akalas-driver/#sthash.yoYgqWTr.dpuf

Share Your Thoughts.
Leave Your Comments.

or to comment.

Avertise on Naijanetwork Forum Avertise on Naijanetwork Forum